Save Energy and Money With a New HVAC System
Homeowners seem to hold two distinct views about heating and cooling system longevity.
One thought is to do everything possible to keep heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) equipment working for as long as possible. The idea is to stave off any major investment in new equipment until the aging unit gives up its last gasp of conditioned air.
The other view embraces the ENERGY STAR® recommendation to replace central air conditioners or heat pumps after 10 years and furnaces or boilers after 15 years. The thought is to retire an aging, less-efficient system and invest in new equipment that saves money on utility bills and repair costs.
At H.L. Bowman, we are happy to work with you no matter which HVAC camp you are in. We assist homeowners throughout South Central Pennsylvania with heating and cooling system maintenance, repairs, and installation for all equipment brands.
Let us extend our tune-up services to the HVAC system in your York home. Schedule maintenance with our professionals in early September for your heating system, and if you have not maintained your cooling system this year, call us now to inspect your heat pump or air conditioner. If we find an issue that calls for repair, we can fix it before it further damages your HVAC equipment.
Replace Your HVAC Sooner Than Later
If your utility bills have skyrocketed and your aging HVAC system more frequently needs repair, it is time to install new equipment. As your unit ages, it loses efficiency, even if you have maintained it through the years.
At H.L. Bowman, we are big believers in preventative maintenance, but we also know that although a tune-up can help performance, it does not restore full efficiency to a much older unit. Energy use and cost will steadily increase, and performance will decline as your HVAC system ages beyond 10 and 15 years.
Following ENERGY STAR guidelines makes sense from a performance, efficiency, and financial perspective. Hanging onto your HVAC system as long as possible may delay spending on new equipment, but continued component wear and efficiency loss will cost you money over the long haul.
If your current AC was installed in 2005, for example, it might have a Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio (SEER) of a mere 10, which was the minimum that year. It is far below the minimum of 14 SEER2 established in 2023 for cooling systems sold in northern states, including Pennsylvania. SEER measures heat pump and AC cooling efficiency. SEER2 is an updated version of SEER.
At H.L. Bowman, we are proud to offer York and Bryant products. The SEER ratings on York heat pumps and air conditioners range from the minimum standard up to 21 SEER. Bryant’s top SEER ratings are 26 for air conditioners and 24 for heat pumps.
If you have owned your gas furnace since the early 2000s, its annual fuel utilization efficiency (AFUE) rating likely is lower than today’s minimum standard of 81 percent. AFUE measures boiler and furnace efficiency. York and Bryant offer high-efficiency gas furnaces with top AFUE ratings of around 98 percent.
More Reasons To Replace HVAC Now
- You want to improve comfort year-round with a system that leaves no cold or hot spots in your home.
- You may move in the next few years. A newer HVAC system increases resale value. An older unit will give prospective buyers a reason to move on.
- Your basic heating or cooling system model does not have any energy-saving features. Today’s heat pumps and air conditioners offer variable-speed compressors and stellar humidity control. High-efficiency furnaces have modulating gas valves and variable-speed blowers.
- You want to take advantage of our H.L. Bowman July installation special. We will discount $1,500 off the purchase price if we fail to install your new heating and cooling system on the same day.
- You want to take advantage of federal tax cuts this year. Beginning January 2023, you can get up to a $600 tax credit for qualifying boilers, furnaces, and air conditioners, and up to $2,000 for ENERGY STAR-certified heat pumps.
Replace Your HVAC System Today
Save on energy and utility bills with a new HVAC system. Let our professionals at H.L. Bowman recommend the best heating and cooling equipment for your York, PA, home. Call us at 717-561-1206 or request service online.