HVAC and Plumbing Winterization Tips
It’s getting colder here in Harrisburg. If you haven’t taken the appropriate measures to protect your home from the drop in temperature, now is the time. Winterize your plumbing and heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) systems to help ensure a smooth operation.
Here at H.L. Bowman, we offer home services to keep your Pennsylvania home comfortable throughout the year. Our professionals can offer everything from winterization tips to routine maintenance services and so much more.
What Should I Do to Winterize My HVAC System?
To winterize and protect your home, be sure to:
- Weatherstrip your windows and doors: Sealing the edges of drafty windows and doors prevents heat from escaping and cold air from entering your home. You’ll remain warm and cozy. Plus, you help prevent your heating system from overworking and increasing your heating expenses as a result!
- Adjust the temperature at night, or when you are away: Start setting your thermostat lower in the evening. Instead of depending on a higher temperature, you can cover yourself in blankets and extra layers to remain warm, reducing the amount of heat your home uses and helping you save money each month. You can also do this when you go on vacation or leave for more than a few hours.
According to the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE), you could save up to 10 percent on your annual heating and cooling costs by strategically adjusting your thermostat.
An upgrade to a smart thermostat offers more precise control. You can control the settings even when you’re not home. You’ll also be able to schedule your thermostat, so the temperature automatically increases or decreases during certain times and days of the week.
- Insulate your attic and basement: Poor insulation can increase your energy bills and prevent you from experiencing maximum indoor comfort. Be sure your attic and other areas susceptible to drafts are adequately insulated.
How Do I Winterize My Plumbing System?
Protect your CITY home’s plumbing system this winter by ensuring you:
- Drain outdoor hoses: Disconnect and drain your outdoor hoses to prevent them from freezing and clogging up. If you forget and your outdoor hoses freeze up, you’ll need to thaw them later on so they can work properly.
- Turn off the outdoor water valves: Check your outdoor water valves and be sure to turn off the outdoor water supply. You may also want to cover the hose nozzles with foam insulators for additional protection from the cold weather.
- Drain the lines of any underground sprinkler system: If you have an irrigation system, you’ll need to drain the lines. Otherwise, your underground sprinkler system could freeze up and burst, leading to expensive repairs in the spring.
- Insulate your pipes: Have your pipes inspected and opt for extra insulation, especially in areas susceptible to the cold, such as your garage, attic, basement, or laundry room. Insulation helps keep your pipes from freezing and bursting, which can result in significant damage and high repair costs. Locate your water shut-off valve so you will know how to quickly turn off the water if you ever have a problem with frozen pipes.
- Check your water heater: Be sure your water heater is running correctly. Schedule a maintenance visit with one of our plumbing professionals ahead of time. We will thoroughly inspect your system and address any issues before they progress or inconvenience you over the winter.
Contact Our HVAC and Plumbing Professionals Today
Being proactive about the HVAC and plumbing systems in your Harrisburg, PA, home can spare you trouble in the future. Whether you need help winterizing your home, repairs due to damage from the cold weather, or preventative maintenance, H.L. Bowman is here to step in and help. Call our experts at 717-561-1206 or request service online today.